So, I’m changing my major again.
This time I’m focusing on something I never thought I would do, and it gives me new excitement for the future. I’ve always loved writing, but I’ve found that majoring in the things I love has caused me to hate them. I tried writing, I love writing, and after a few bad experiences, I’ve decided to keep my love for writing by shifting into marketing for business. I never thought I would do marketing, but it interests me just enough to give it a shot.
So, here’s a few steps I’ve found that have helped me find my major.
- Unless you can truly stick it out, DO NOT major in something that you love to do or in a hobby. You will never want to do it again, and somewhere along the way, you will second-guess your own talents.
- Go ahead and look into major that you never thought you would like or something that doesn’t sound interesting. You never know, you may just find what you were meant to do.
- Ask others around you what they can see you doing. Sometimes, it takes an outsiders opinion to shine a light on very good qualities that you have but don’t see.
- Research, research, research, never just run into something and think you’re going to love it. See what others say about it’s like to major in your choice and research the things you can do with the degree.
- Believe that you can do it. A lot of failures are blessing in disguises. You’re not going to love every moment of college or love all of your classes, but you’re here, you did it, you got in. Now, you can do it again. The first try is always the hardest.
Remember to stay feisty, and it’s never too late or too early to change something in your life. Whether it be a major, car, or a huge life change. Believe in yourself.