Hey, my feisty ones!
I’m starting my own diary thread. I hope you can learn some things and maybe get a few laughs out of it, too. My first few weeks being an intern have been a daze of, “Oh my gosh, I didn’t know it took this much work” and “Oh yay! I did something right.” You interns out there know what I mean. Sometimes, it feels like my thoughts are spinning around the room, but my body is staying completely still.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my internship. It has opened my mind and expanded my horizons. Who knew trying to replace the word could could be so frustrating?
Don’t worry. Feisty Feline is here to save the day. *Dons my new cape and strikes a superhero pose.*
I have a few tips for the new interns out there, let’s jump write in.
- Coffee is your hero, your lover, and your new best friend. If you don’t like coffee, I highly suggest you develop a taste of it. I just got my very first coffee maker this week.
- Listen! The old saying you have two ears and one mouth for a reason is applied here. Even if it’s just listening for a cat tripping over a computer cord.
- Never throw away a single piece of paper. Even if your boss says its fine to get rid of it, don’t. It’s lies! It’s all lies!
- Get sleep. I know most of us are young and want to party till the sun comes up, but when you have a 9 a.m. class and your internship right after it. Yeah, good luck.
- Enjoy yourself. I have been lucky enough to have the most relaxed and mellow boss ever. So I enjoy myself when I’m at work. I look up to her as a professor and as a woman. We talk about everything under the moon, and when its time to be serious, we get right down to it. We have a little joke around here called “Alisha brain,” and I currently suffer from it.
All jokes aside, when I open my mind and listen, I’ve learned shit like how many times a comma is actually used and editing can be fun with the right person.
I’m having the best time here, and it’s showing me that I’m exactly where I want to be – in cape and all.
Photo Credit: (c) Froot